Treatment of pain in your pet can be difficult because unlike people, who are “painfully” aware of from where the pain is coming, animals are more indifferent.
Sometimes it’s really difficult to know when animals are actually suffering because of pain. Most importantly, they can´t simply tell you that they are in pain.
When people are in pain, they complain. However, when the animals are in pain, very rarely we can actually notice that. Since they can´t tell us if they are suffering from pain, how can we know that something is really hurting them?
Signs that a pet is suffering pain:
- Unusually quiet, agitated or unresponsive
- Whine, howl or constant meowing
- Bites yourself, or people who are close
- It shows uncharacteristic behavior (too aggressive or subordinate)
- There are problems with eating or sleeping
- Tries to get more attention than usual
If you suspect that your pet is in pain, contact your vet immediately.